Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cloth Diaper Experiment Update

It truly is not harder to cloth diaper. It didn't seem to make a bit of difference to Logan. I know some people think its gross but wait until you're in the midst of potty training especially if you have a boy. Cloth diapers are no worse than that and honestly the messes are contained unlike the accidents your child has in their underwear. Of course Austin was one who would pull his pants down and pee and poop in the floor because he thought it was funny (that's boys for you). The gross factor has long since been overcome in this house.

One thing I was disappointed about in my trial pack of diapers was the number of diapers that weren't cotton. A lot of them were made of polyester including fleece and microfiber. They just seemed really warm especially with the heat we're having now. So my favorites so far are the cotton prefolds and the Bum Genius Organic All in One. Only cotton touches your baby with these unlike the others. I like the idea of the fitted because they're faster than the prefolds and you still have to use a cover but I didn't like the one that was sent to me. I'm going to try some bamboo fitteds because bamboo is super absorbant, organic and naturally antibacterial. I thought I'd also try a wool cover because it is a breathable fabric and waterproof. So we'll see how these new options will work.

I admit I was thinking about not continuing to do this because I already do so much laundry but Logan got a rash Monday that covered his entire diaper area and I'm really not sure what caused it. It's not like a typical diaper rash but more of a reaction to something (I know this because Austin has a grass allergy and that's what it looked like). I've been using the cloth diapers and airing it out and it seems to be going away now. So that pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'm still going to use disposables when we leave the house and at night until I'm more comfortable with the cloth though.

2 comments:

Ida B. Goddard said...

stick to your guns, steph! way to go. we just don't have the money to do it - i thought about it, but just don't have the cash for it up front.

The Brooks Family said...

I'm proud of you!!! We are way past the diaper stage now. But I may just try this if we have another baby =) Thanks for saving me the time of doing all of the research on my own. Your boys are too cute!