Saturday, June 7, 2008

Green Mama

It started innocently enough with eating healthier, buying more organic foods and using cleaning products that don't let off VOCs (volatile organic compounds). Then our sanitation service started offering free recycling and we recycle as much as we can. I've even bought the reusable grocery bags and yes I do use them. I'm even phasing out some of our plastic dishes and toys due to the possible health risks. http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/17/914073.aspx

But now my husband thinks I've lost my mind. I decided to try cloth diapers. I mean considering how expensive disposables are, why not? Also how safe is that gel that collects all of that moisture anyway? People haven't been using them long enough for there to be any information on the long term effect. I was inspired by a cousin of mine who has cloth diapers on her baby registery. I actually researched the gDiapers (cloth with flushable liners) when I was pregnant with Logan. But we have had issues with our septic tank and I didn't think it would be a good idea to flush all of that stuff. So I didn't do anymore research until this week.

There is SO much info on cloth diapers and so many options. There are All In Ones that are pretty much like disposable and you just toss in your laundy. There are Pocket diapers, where you insert a pad into the cover. Then there are prefolds, which are much like what our mothers may have used except you don't have to use pins but something called a Snappi. There are also many types of material including cotton, wool and bamboo. You could spend hours researching this stuff (and I have). So basically I found this site that allows you to try out various types for 21 days for only $10 http://www.jilliansdrawers.com . I ordered it and they arrived today. I need to wash them and then we'll try them out.

For all of you green mamas, I found this other cool site of earth friendly shops that you might want to check out. http://www.hyenacart.com

1 comment:

Jessica, JB & Ryleigh said...

Oh, yippee! Another Blog to keep up with! :) First, I must say I’m impressed with the cloth diapers (JB said 'that's disgusting' haha -- I thought about it but have a hard enough time doing laundry as it is.)and they have such 'cute' stuff with them now, and recycling and reusable bags at the store. I have often sat in the store and said, I wonder who uses those, now I know Steph does. :) See you soon! Love, Us