Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Complications of Making Mommy Friends

I know it's been forever since I've posted. Although I've probably drafted 100 posts in my head. The boys are doing great and we're liking Austin's new preschool. But this post isn't about my kids but me. Those other stay at home moms know how little time there is for that. I'm not discounting that working mothers don't have a lot of time either but there is that escape even though I know it's hard to be away from your kids.

So back to where I was going. Why does it become so much harder to make friends once you're a mom? I've been staying home for over 3 years now and happen to be the president of a moms group but I have still not found that person that I really click with. There have been a few times that it's been "maybe this is someone I can get close with" but then it doesn't happen. Maybe it's that there are so many more criteria. If you really disagree with someone's parenting choices, it's hard to be good friends. Of course the amount of time that you have to get to know someone is much smaller because well you keep getting interrupted by the kids.

The financial differences can make it complicated too. Some moms have to pinch every penny and others have a little more freedom with their money. The hurdle here is that some are inconsiderate about the costs when planning things while on the other spectrum others are constantly complaining about how much things cost.

I do still have a few friends that have been around forever but distance keeps us apart. Some would be there for me no matter what and others have disappointed me when I really needed them. But that the way things work out as time changes us and our situations.

So what is a mom to do? Obviously I need to quit feeling sorry for myself and just keep putting myself in new situations because that other mom that's also looking for a friend is probably just around the corner.

3 comments:

Jessica, JB & Ryleigh said...

okay so did you and JB draft this post about me.... not funny. you have me crying now... because we feel the EXACT SAME WAY :(

I just emailed you too btw. saying miss you! then open this :( maybe that is why i am crying..hormonal?? yuck!

Love you! Miss you!
See you soon....hopefully.. :(

I have honestly thought about calling saying would you like to have a girls night (just get together, sit back and relax) sometime, somewhere, but if you read the email you will see the problem! :(

So i have turned your comment section into my pity section... maybe we should make that girls night a pity party!

Nicole Roberts said...

I can SOOO totally relate to this post. I sent it to my best friend b/c I know she can too. You are not alone. :) Hang in there and keep trying!

Ida B. Goddard said...

Hey Steph! I have found that my outlet for this exact problem is my MOPS group at Hebron. I would love for you to come, as it's not that far for you. It's in Dacula. I love our church (we're not yet members)! I'm always around, so give me a ring if you'd like to talk! i know how it is to talk on the phone and juggle a screaming child in the background, so call me! we don't live that far away, so, we could totally do a playdate!